The cultivation commenced in the year 1880. Few British planters during that period are namely Sir Thomas Willias (legislator), Mr Ellsey Moutsley
The name is derived from an enlightened background of the length of the stream drive across Estate Dhiga Oya (‘Dhiga’ means long and ‘Oya’ means River in Sinhalese) and later it evolved as Dickoya. The History reveals King Nishanka Malla had travelled through this path to Adams Peak in the AC 1500. Dunbar Division was a separate Estate which was later merged with Dickoya Estate when the Factory gutted down in 1920. The then Dickoya Estate maintained two famous Play Grounds namely Dunbar and DMCC Grounds, where the two legends Mahatma Gandhi and Late Sir Bradman had paid visit on their mission.
The Selling Mark of the Estate “ADISHAM” was named by Sir Thomas Williars, who built the Adisham Bungalow in Haputale which is well known for its uniqueness.