Kenilworth Overview

Kenilworth Tea Garden is situated in the Central Province in the District of Nuwara Eliya, approximately 102 Kilo Meters from Colombo – the Capital city of Sri Lanka. Kenilworth is the flagship Estate of Watawala Plantations PLC. It would appear that the name KENILWORTH originated from an English background, which is traced to a magnificent Castle situated in Warwickshire, UK. This estate was originally owned and managed by M/s Gorden Frazer & Co. Ltd. The last British Planter to serve on Kenilworth was Mr. W R D Waller. The Planters who served on Kenilworth are:

Few Past Managers’ Detail

Name From To
Mr.W.R.D.Waller 1947 1950
Mr.W.R.Bains 1950 1962
Mr.Victor St. Georage 1962 1968
Mr.A.E.Anandappa 1968 1975
Mr.A.E.Anandappa 1975 1978
Mr.M.C.B.Thalwatte 1979 1988
Mr.Kavi Senevirathne 1989 1990
Mr.K.G.Stanly Perera 1990 1991
Mr.Anil De Silva 1991 1992
Mr.Anil De Silva 1992 1997
Mr.M.B.H.Pilapitiya 1997 2000
Mr.L.A.D.De Alwis 2000 2002
Mr.A.C.Samuel 2002 2005
Mr.E.M.K.Ambanpola 2005 2009
Mr.D.A.S.J.Perera 2009 2014
Mr.L M Ramadas 2014

The Estate nestles between two prominent rivers of Sri Lanka “Kelani” & “Mahaweli”. Kenilworth experiences an annual rainfall of approximately 4500 mm spread over 200 days and enjoys the benefits of both the South West and the North East monsoons. Elevation varies from 616 to 640 meters.

FIELD
The total extent of Kenilworth is 603.11 Hect. Of which 295.36 Ha (49%) is planted in Tea. The remaining 51% is under Fuel wood cultivation/Forestry and in grass to be replanted into tea. Of the total extent in Tea 86% is under high yielding vegetatively propagated (VP) tea. The annual production of Kenilworth is around 560,000 kgs of made tea representing a yield of 1900 kgs per hectare.

PROCESSING CENTRE.
Under the Medium Grown category, Kenilworth occupies a prestigious position in the Sale Average and is possibly one of the prime selling marks of Sri Lanka. The Factory is situated at an elevation of 616 meters and carries out an orthodox process of manufacture. The annual production including bought crop is approximately 800,000 kgs made tea. The factory has obtained “Fairtrade Certificate” in July, 2008. (FLO certified producer) Existing Tea factory was built in 1947 having demolished the old Factory built in 1942.

Kenilworth Tea garden, which consists of five Divisions is situated in the Central Province and comes under the District of Nuwara Eliya, and in close to the Ginigathena town.

General Facts

Region

Medium grown

Temperature

22-25˚C

Total Population

3029

Elevation

640m

Rainfall

4500mm

Contact Details

Telephone

+94 (0) 51- 4923379 (Office)

+94 (0) 51- 4922449 (Factory)

Email

Kenilworth@hattonplantations.lk

Location

Kenilworth Estate

Ginigathena, Sri Lanka

Characteristics

Western medium/ Leafy/ Semi Leafy

Leaf Appearance – Blacker, Well Twisted, cleaner and neater

Infusion – Coppery Bright

Certifications

Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP)

The Ethical Tea Partnership (ETP)

Fair Trade

Rainforest Alliance

CQC 2 Star

5S

Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI) Certification

Society General Surveilance (SGS)